Connect Focus Group was held on 9th February, 2016 at Arfa Software Technology Park, organised by Tech Hub Connect. It was a very fruitful discussion where people from various IT companies and Universities voiced their concerns and opinions.
The discussion commenced with the Program Manager of TechHub Connect, Sarah Tariq Gilani, giving an intro of the project and explaining the story that led to her team to organise the Connect focus group. The discussion between the attendees then started which was moderated by Mr. Zaeem Yaqoob Khan. He is currently the Director of External Relations and Student Affairs at BNU. Previously, Zaeem has played a pivotal role in Rozee's Campus Career Portal drive and has an elaborate understanding of the problems both the academia and the industry face. He is also an advisor of the #Connect Portal (a website being built by TechHub Connect for the industry and academia to communicate).
The following agenda points were discussed:
- Industry requirements from fresh graduates
- Head of departments of universities elaborated on the curriculum being taught and how can it be improved to meet industry needs
- What kind of research is being conducted in universities?
- What are the new and upcoming trends in the industry that require research by students?
- How can we channelize the collaboration of companies with universities and introduce FYP ideas and courses to improve the gap between industry and academia.
- Introduction to Connect Portal
The session concluded with JD Entrepreneurship- Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB), Nabeel Qadeer, explaining the importance of such discussions like Connect Focus Group and the role TechHub Connect is playing in bridging the gaps between industry and academia through it's portal Connect. This was one of the first focus groups we conducted. We'll be inviting more companies in the future to make sure, everybody gets a chance to contribute to the ecosystem.
|Date:||February 09, 2016|