In April 2017, the School Education Department collaborated with PITB to institutionalize a tablet-based School Information System (SIS) - allowing schools to self-report data in real-time. The system helps track enrollment and retention for each individual student. So far, public schools in the Punjab have registered 11.6 million students. For each student, the CNIC numbers of their parents/guardians, phone numbers, date of birth, enrollment year and current grade, is maintained in the database. CNIC numbers are verified via the NADRA database for authenticity.
To gauge quality of data, PITB has also engaged call-center services to randomly select schools and call parents who have been registered in the system by schools. The feedback is routed to the School Education Department.
|Key Features in Place
|| Next Steps
- e-Transfer module – 108,176 preferences processed for 39,987 applicants
- e-Census module – Annual school census through school tablets
- Student registration module – to enroll students from K through 12
- Teacher registration module – to maintain updated teacher profiles
- Student attendance tracking
- Teacher attendance tracking
- Local database on tablet, and auto-sync with central server
- Real-time reporting and analysis – by district, grade, gender, and yearly comparison
- Real time reports via smart-phone app, and SMS alerts for Education Administrators
- SMS-alerts to parents, if student attendance falls below threshold, or when MEA complete school visit
- Timely data access for MEAs, when they perform spotvisits to schools
- An iris-based attendance system has also been developed and tested. Integrated with SIS, this could serve as a viable solution for teacher and student attendance.